Understanding Types of Remodeling Businesses
The General Contractor
Many home improvements may not require professional design services and can be handled by an experienced contractor. Again, be sure to work with a professional. Even small jobs need careful planning, as their successful completion is important to you.
The Design/Build Contractor
Design/build is a concept developed to benefit the homeowner with their remodeling project by providing both quality design and construction services within the same company. Design/build contractor will be able to see your project through from start to finish, keeping design, engineering and budget in mind.
Major remodeling projects require construction drawings to define contracts and permits procurement. If your professional remodeler does not provide design services, you can use a professionally trained architect. It is best to work with an architect experienced in remodeling, as he or she will be more sensitive to the special challenges that remodeling represents. Often this is referred to as the Architect/Design-Bid-Build (DBB) model.
It was a pleasure working with Steve, Tova and the entire Steveworks team on our renovation project. Steve renovated a master bedroom and bathroom for us ten years ago and we were happy to have him return to do a second job. He has a group of very talented subcontractors, many of whom have worked together for Steve over many years. They are highly professional and very pleasant to have working around the house. Our project involved some creative problem-solving and Steve and Tova came through with flying colors. I’m thoroughly enjoying the beauty and functionality of my new kitchen. I highly recommend Steveworks.
– Newton Homeowner and client of Steveworks, EM NARI Member
Questions to Ask:
- How long have you been in business?
- Are you insured and licensed?
- May I please have 2-3 references of past clients to call?
- Do you have your own staff or do you subcontract all work?
- How long have you been working with your subcontractors?
- Who will I be working with if I choose you as my designer/builder/contractor?
- Who will be on-site during my project?
- How do you establish a budget for the project? Do you have transparent accounting practices?
- Do you offer financing? How does billing work?
- How long will my project take?
- Will you help me with my product selections? How does that work?
- Do you offer a warranty? What is your warranty?
- How do you handle disagreements and disputes?
- What do you expect of me as your client?